Thursday, August 27, 2009

A No-Tech Blackberry Experience, Part Deux

I have a lot of blackberries. And now that they are neatly packed in zip lock bags in the freezer, there is a very good chance I'll forget about them. And when I rediscover them, they will taste like cardboard. So, inspired by a recipe in my first Food and Wine magazine my sister kindly gave me (a very good read indeed), and the desire to not eat cardboard blackberries anytime in the future, I decided to make blackberry popsicles. The original recipe is actually for watermelon and mint popsicles, which sound incredible. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any good watermelon to buy nearby, which is a true shame because I do love watermelon. But I did have blackberries...

Recipe and Instructions: Blend fresh or defrosted frozen blackberries with lemon, sugar and water to taste. Strain if you wish (if you don't they will be a little seedy) and freeze in popsicle molds (so hard to find!), or an ice tray. If you're using an ice tray, leave it in the freezer for about 45 minutes so the ice can harden slightly, and then put in your sticks. I couldn't find popsicle sticks either, and figured toothpicks would be too flimsy, so instead used wooden skewers cut in half.

The result: A very nice summer treat, though eat them fast or it could get messy.

Blackberries are loaded with nutrients, so it really is best to eat them fresh. They contain polyphenol antioxidants (which are found in many "superfoods"), and are high in fibre and Vitamin C, among many other things. The seeds are also rich in essential fatty acids, Omega 3 and 6. When frozen, the berries do retain some nutrients, but lose some too. Ya win, ya lose...



Popsicles remind me of my two nephews who I truly miss, and who truly love popsicles. These two are for you!

No comments: